Monday, December 7, 2015

Warm Hearts

This year, since my pastor's wife was great with child (and is now an amazing and even more busy Mommy!) she asked me if I would be willing to give a devotional at our Ladies' Christmas Brunch. So here are the thoughts on the topic of "warmth" that I shared...


Cold hands, warm heart”, “That just warms my heart”

I greatly dislike being cold. How much worse is it to have a cold heart!

With so many needs, and so much to do, how do we keep from having cold hearts toward the Lord and those He has placed around us?

We keep our bodies warm by being near a heat source, like fire, and putting on clothing, and covering up with a comfortable blanket. I believe God made the physical world to reflect spiritual realities.

So how can we keep our hearts from being cold? By being near the “fire” of God, by putting on the humble mind of Christ, and being “wrapped” in the true Comforter, the Holy Spirit.

Luke 3:16 “ John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.”

Hebrews 12:19 “For our God is a consuming fire.”

The Bible uses fire to describe God's character. In His holiness, he consumes our sinfulness, refining us, and changing our hearts to reflect His image as we draw near to Him.

This inward change is reflected in outward actions. As James 2:14-18 says “What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”


Another way we keep warm, is by putting on clothing. As girls, we especially like to think about what we will wear, and how it will look to those around us. I Peter 5:5 and Romans 13:14 tell us what we should be wearing all the time:

1 Peter 5:5 “Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for
“God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble”




Romans 13:14 “But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.”



We are to be “clothed in humility” and to “put on the Lord Jesus Christ”

Philippians 2:5-8 tells us just how humble the mind of Christ is, that He would give up His rights, and be obedient to the point of dying on the cross:

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.”

Jesus told His disciples in Matthew 6:31-34 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”

Don't worry about what to wear this winter – seek His kingdom and His righteousness.

The last we will look at way to keep a warm heart is by being surrounded by the Comforter.

John 14:15-27 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper (the Comforter), that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

19 “A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. 20 At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. 21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”
22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, “Lord, how is it that You will manifest Yourself to us, and not to the world?”
23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. 24 He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me.
25 “These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. 26 But the Helper (Comforter), the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

Some of Jesus' last words to His disciples telling them if they love Him, they will obey Him. Knowing how easy it is for us humans to forget things, He made a wonderful promise to send the Comforter to remind us all things that He has taught us. There have been many times in my life I have been thankful for God reminding me to do something or correct my attitude towards serving, giving, or speaking a soft answer.

So as we move into this chilly season, let's don't let our hearts grow cold. Instead, let us draw near to the fire, letting our sinful desires be consumed by His love. Let us be clothed with the humble mind of Christ, and let us give thanks for the Comforter who guides our hearts, words and actions.

O tidings of COMFORT and joy!”


No comments:

Post a Comment