Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Abide

There are so many needs in the world.
Orphans, oppressed, enslaved, sick, hungry, imprisoned, persecuted.
I get overwhelmed thinking about how much needs to be done, and how little I can do.
So I cry, pray, and wonder what to do. I ask God to show me who to help. I listen, expecting some dramatic calling.

But His answer isn't "go to Africa" or hold some huge awareness rally.

"Abide in Me."

What? That's it?

"Abide in Me, and you will bear much fruit, and My Father will be glorified."

Abide. Live in. Dwell. Stay.

So, you just want me to stay here with You? But what about all those needs? This world needs to be saved, Jesus!

"I already did that."

Oh, yeah, He did, didn't He?

The truth is, He doesn't need me to save the world for Him. He did that already. What He wants is for me to stay with Him. To choose the good part of loving Him first. Only then will He be able to pour out His love to those around me through my life.

God may never call me to something big and important (in my eyes). He doesn't have to. He has His Church all around the world to do His work. He does want me to be faithful to abide in Him and do the work He has prepared for me to do. Here. To love Him. And to share His love with those around me.


"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love."
John 15:4-5 and 8-9


No comments:

Post a Comment